How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Skip?
Skip hire costs are something you have to weigh up when you need to get rid of any amount of waste. Whether you’re tackling a commercial project as a business or a passion project at home – such as DIY or landscaping – the idea of getting value for money still applies. You’ll likely have a budget in mind for your project, so it’s worth doing the research to find a trustworthy and professional skip hire company.
To help answer the question of how much it costs to hire a skip, this month, at SCS Waste, we’ll talk through the different factors that can impact skip hire price and the things you can do to help keep the cost down.
Skip hire sizes
Skip sizes are vitally important when it comes to the cost since the larger the skip is, the higher the price will be. That’s why you need to establish which size will suit your needs best. Getting a skip too big will mean you could have paid less for a smaller one, while getting one too small will mean you need to hire another skip to get the job done.
At SCS Waste, we offer a full range of skip sizes for Arundel, Littlehampton, Bognor Regis and the surrounding areas. We provide the following sizes to meet your needs:
- 2 Cubic yards – equivalent to 45 bin bags
- 4 Cubic yards – equivalent to 85 bin bags
- 6 Cubic yards – equivalent to 123 bin bags
- 8 Cubic yards – equivalent to 175 bin bags
- 12 Cubic yards – equivalent to 250 bin bags
If you have large, commercial quantities of waste to dispose of, you might need to consider a RORO skip (roll on roll off skip) to help make things more cost-effective for your project.
While skip hire is a great way to get rid of lots of different waste types from your project, you need to be aware that there are restricted items, so not everything can be accepted.
Knowing what your skip hire company allows before you make your booking can save you a lot of hassle later. Some items, like asbestos, gas cylinders, tyres, tree roots, batteries, mattresses, fridges, freezers, paints, liquids, and chemicals, might see you incur a charge for contaminated waste or, in some cases, the company may refuse to take your waste.
Some companies charge extra for some restricted items like mattresses, which is why it’s good to check first, sparing you any surprise costs at the end.
You can read more about what you can’t put in our skips at SCS Waste in our recent article.
Do you need a skip permit?
Skip permits are an additional consideration when it comes to cost. You can save yourself this cost if you have a skip placed on your driveway, garden or building site, but if you haven’t got that room on your property and need the skip placed in the road, a permit is a legal requirement (not applicable for private roads).
Permits allow a skip to be placed in the road, notifying the local council so as not to cause disruption. Our specialists at SCS Waste can arrange this for you if you notify us in advance, but it will add a small cost to your hire.
Tips to keep the cost down
Now you know some of the main things that can impact skip hire costs, how can you keep the cost down? Take a look at our handy tips to help you get the best value:
- Pick the right skip size – you can use our calculator if you’re unsure!
- Be smart when filling your skip – load your skip efficiently to make the best use of the space
- Don’t place restricted items in the skip – as mentioned, this will cost you a lot more
- Choose a company that provides permits – having a professional arrange your skip hire permit will ensure you have the right permit in place
- Share a skip with your neighbour – if you know a neighbour also needs to use a skip, you could agree to split the cost of a skip and save money together
- Choose a company with flexible hire periods – this will help you get a skip for the length of time you need, rather than being held to someone else’s schedule
- Choose a company with competitive prices – some companies offer better value for money, just don’t get drawn in by deals too good to be true, go with someone experienced
Find out more about our skip hire services at SCS Waste and book with us today. We offer same-day and next-day delivery to help meet the needs of your project. Call to speak with our team or use our online form to make your request.