How Is Cardboard Recycled?
We can find cardboard around us almost all the time at home and at work. It’s one of the most common materials for packaging and protecting goods, so it’s likely that the waste you collect contains a lot of cardboard.
Because of its durable, versatile and eco-friendly qualities, we’ve seen this become a very popular material. And it’s great news, because unlike some materials used in packaging, cardboard can be recycled numerous times.
At SCS Waste, we provide a paper and cardboard recycling service for businesses across Arundel, Littlehampton and Bognor Regis. No matter what volume you have, we can handle it.
To help you understand this material and the process of recycling a little more, we’ve created this short guide on the topic.
Is cardboard recyclable?
Yes, clean cardboard is absolutely recyclable and can be recycled multiple times. Because it’s made from trees and other recycled fibres, it is a much better alternative to plastics.
Cardboard is also great for recycling because the renewable materials allow it to be broken down and transformed into any number of items without losing much quality.
Minimising the amount of virgin materials we have to use for making things is extremely beneficial for the environment. It also helps to prevent more waste from going into landfill sites, another handy benefit for the environment.
The cardboard recycling process
You might wonder what happens to your cardboard and why you need to separate it from your general waste. To give you an idea of the general cardboard recycling process, here’s a brief overview of the main steps involved:
- Collect it – We collect your cardboard waste through our waste management and recycling services.
- Sort it – Your cardboard is then taken to our state-of-the-art facility where it is sorted and separated by type.
- Shred it – Once separated from other waste types, your cardboard can be shredded and pulped with water and chemicals.
- Clean it – The pulped cardboard is then cleaned and filtered to remove impurities such as staples and glue.
- De-ink it – An additional step that isn’t always necessary, for any cardboard that has been printed or coloured, the ink is removed through washing and flotation.
- Reform it – The recycled pulp is then mixed with fresh fibres and used in moulds to reform it into fresh cardboard.
- Dry and finish it – The new sheets of cardboard are then dried before being cut and trimmed. Finally, it can be sent to manufacturers for use in new packaging.
How can I recycle cardboard?
If you’re wondering how you can recycle your cardboard, the good news is that there are a number of options available to you. This is thanks to cardboard being one of the more easily recyclable materials.
- Cardboard recycling for businesses – No matter how large or small your business may be, here at SCS Waste we have the capacity to handle your cardboard and paper. We create a collection plan to suit your schedule and waste volumes, allowing you to lower your carbon footprint.
- Cardboard recycling for homeowners – Most councils in the UK now run home recycling schemes, allowing you to separate your cardboard into a specific bin or sack for collection. Alternatively, for large volumes of cardboard, you can separate the waste, remove any tape and take it to your local recycling facility for household waste.
- Cardboard recycling via skip hire – Whether you’re in the construction business or a homeowner having a clear-out of the garage, by placing your cardboard waste in our skips, you can rest assured that it will be separated at our recycling facility. This means that any materials that can be recycled, will be — it’s part of our aim to recover as much of your waste as possible.
To arrange waste management and recycling services for your business in Arundel, Littlehampton and Bognor Regis and the surrounding areas, simply contact us today. We have all the experience and expertise to provide a smooth and efficient service, allowing you to easily dispose of card and paper without harming the environment.
Call now and speak to our friendly team for more details.